Apache Flex 4.8.0 Released!

July 26, 2012By 9 Comments

In case you haven’t heard the news yet, the Apache Flex team just delivered their first release, Apache Flex 4.8.0! Though it’s just a parity release (no new features yet), this is a major milestone for the team and validates the strength of the community and the dedicated Adobe folks coming together and proving they can deliver. This release will also help Apache Flex in it’s journey to becoming a full-fledged open source Apache project out of incubation. And more importantly, shows that Flex is still alive and kickin ;-)! I can also vouch for this just based on my continuous blog traffic and visitors to all of my Flex posts. I downloaded the latest and was able to use it within minutes. I encourage you to get it installed, participate in the mailing lists and please contribute in any way you can to help this project continue on its path to success!

Here are some links to check out relating to this release:

Filed in: Adobe FlexApache FlexFlash BuilderFlex MobileFlex/AIRMobile Development Tags:

1. Theone says:

How would i go about using this version of flex

2. Keith says:

It is bittersweet news. On one side, there is hope that the platform will survive. On the other side, it has really been a long time without any new development.

3. Chantal says:

I’m relatively new (less than a year) to Flash Builder / Flex / AIR for Mobiles. With the release of AIR 3.4, and Adobe continuing to develop AIR for Mobiles (wonderful release by the way), I am confused as to what is the Flex offering?

Were they the MXML out of the box components that Apache should improve on or is it something else?

4. Anoop says:

hello holly,

i want to know that……….

what’s new features apache planning to introduce in future flex release?

5. Tom says:

Not very promising so far! I spent one hour and AIR it is still not running. I na not build Android or iOS Applications. It is easy to install the SDK but what about air?.

6. Polaco says:

Great! will take a look at it!

7. (sic) says:

Open Source FTW! Now things are gonna get better!!
    Thanks for the information, Holly. :D

8. laapsaap says:

After 2 hours figuring out flex builder 4.7 and SDK 4.8.0, I decided to delete it all together.

Come on I am a developer and I just want to develop stuff that was why I was interested in flash builder the first place. Out of box working condition.

The integration right now is so poor, I dont even want to bother with it anymore.

9. Al says:

I sincerely hope the community is able to continue to advance Flex. I use it extensively in mobile dev now because it’s so OO (AS 3.0 is anyways, I hardly use the MXML components) and it makes it a snap to work with my animators and bring in Flash (which I convert to SWC and compile to native iOS or Android). Flex is wonderful to code in. I hope we can keep it up – And if anyone in the community is listening, the next great step would be the ability to not only do iOS / Android (and web) but also to compile to HTML5 please…