Adobe’s Commitments to Flex – Official Whitepaper

February 15, 2012By 24 Comments

There have been a lot of questions about the viability and future of Flex recently, and Adobe has published an official whitepaper today detailing their support for Flex going forward. The paper also contains details regarding Flash runtime support, Flash Builder support and other Apache contributions including the Falcon compiler. I believe the paper is a must read and can be found HERE.

Filed in: Adobe FlexApache FlexFlash Builder

1. Hugo says:

Great article (finally).

There is remaining to questions:
    * Flash under Windows 8 (interface Metro) – Need to wait until the Flash roadmap withepaper
    * AIR Mobile support for Windows Phone that is growing faster

2. Bhanu says:

Nice Paper..

3. Vivek says:

Thankyou Holly.
    A little off topic – we are developing this fairly large mobile and tablet app for our internal customers. Do you recommend using an application framework or is not something you would do for a mobile project ?
    We have been using Cairngorm 3 with Parsley for all our recent flex development.

4. Ryan says:

Its a shame Adobe will be removing design view from future Flash Builder releases. It was very convenient for configuring a view’s constraints among other visual toggles and settings.

5. Norman says:

If design mode and Catalyst workflows will be removed are there any proposals or endeavors from the community to fill the gap? As a designer, it will be difficult to do my job without these.

6. Nemi says:

“In order to better support future Apache-derived Flex SDKs, Design View, Data Centric Development tools, and Flash Catalyst workflows will be removed in updated 4.x versions of Flash Builder.”

What does it mean? They will remove Design view from FB IDE?

• Hugo says:

Yes. That is exactly what they mean. I never never (except at the beginning for learning) used design view.

• Jason says:

Why on earth do they need to remove the Design View or the Data Centric Development Tools? Seriously? Why? Can someone explain that?

• Scott Castle says:

@Jason: Group Product Manager for Flash tooling here. Both Design View and the visual elements of DCD are tightly-coupled with the Flex SDK, and even small changes in the SDK can break those Flash Builder capabilities.

Now that Adobe is no longer in control of the SDK, it’s important to make sure that Flash Builder is able to reliably support new versions of the Flex SDK as they emerge, so we need to disable tightly-coupled capabilities like DV and DCD. This should also give the SDK project more freedom to develop in new directions without concerns about breaking tooling.

Hope that gives you a bit more visibility into this issue.

7. Keith says:

Why doesn’t it surprise me that, six days later, the “Flash Player Roadmap White Paper”, that was “coming soon” is still outstanding?
    It is very sad to see that most evangelists are not writing about Flex anymore, but have moved to JS/HTML.
    Thank you for staying with us, Holly.

8. Norman says:

I started to learn Flex just about the time Adobe dropped the bomb. For a while I got concerned (as in pulled my hair a lot) because I got comfortable with it very quickly. But I figured most of my customers are in the enterprise space anyway. Even if Flash becomes legacy, my customers kinda like the idea of proprietary (I’m too scared to find out why..so don’t ask me). I guess it gives them an idea of prestige and security -plus Flex works – that’s what’s important! As long as we continue to support it, then I guess they’re OK with it. We’re heavy on live streaming and real-time apps. Reading the latest manifesto gives me a little bit of comfort. But I don’t really care anymore. As long as customers need the apps we’re developing, then I guess we’re good. Meanwhile, I’m learning Javascript – not that I like it very much. But that’s the kind of love and hate you get for the tools of the trade. God bless you Holly for keeping the faith. Long live FLEX!

9. What a shame Adobe will be removing design view from future Flash Builder releases. It was very convenient for configuring a view’s constraints among other visual toggles and settings.

10. John Jacobs says:

I remember the theme at MAX in 2010. “You will be flipping burgers until you learn how to code flex” Now it seems if you did follow them you will soon be flipping burgers.

11. Hakan says:

I think we do not have to be this much pessimistic about design mode being removed from IDE. I am fairly new to FB and I have been developing a large app since Octobe 2011. The more familiar and practical I get, the more I realize that I need to use the design view much more less. Of course, at the beginner level, there may be some difficulties, but in my opinion, it’s not of a big burden that can not be overcome.

12. Blaise Kinyua says:

I want to learn to develop mobile apps with Adobe Flash Builder. I want to develop an app that updates me on the latest football scores, news, league standings etc. The problem is I don’t have access to site’s xml. Is there a work around this?
    For more info, the site is http://www.futaa.com/

13. Tahir Alvi says:

Yes, This is great that Adobe have a clear road map for future enhancement in Flex.

14. Sean says:

How will the Apache Flex SDK support Multi threading (Workers) as the SDK is no longer developed by Adobe.

Will we be able to take advantage of Worker threads as soon as it is available in the AIR runtime? I sure hope so.. we really need multi threading for our current large Flex app.

15. Sinca misa says:

It is clear. Adobe is abandoning the air framework in favor of a JavaScript development environment with the phonegap app. For serious enterprise app I see no future here, despite the good intentions of the Apache Flex community.

As you can see in this website there are now plenty of links to Lear JavaScript, the new directive of adobe

16. Nige says:

+1 for Design View, dropping this is a disaster. I’m an experienced developer and use the DV a lot, all the best IDE’s have them: Visual Studio, Dreamweaver and so on.