Game of Flex for Tablets Released!

December 7, 2011By 29 Comments

My fellow teammate Michael Chaize recently had an idea for creating a ‘game’ to showcase Flex and the latest 4.6 release features with Tour de Mobile Flex being the initial inspiration. I’m happy to announce that the Game of Flex is now available on both the Apple iTunes and Android Market for your downloading pleasure :)!

The Game of Flex consists of 16 questions which if answered correctly, will qualify you to win a free copy of Flash Builder 4.6! Ultimately though, it’s a learning tool, where we’ve included samples and source code for all of the new 4.6 features and other useful mobile features. Click the ‘Snippet’ button to get the source code for the sample within the app, and the ‘Tutorial’ button to link to tutorials with more details on how to use a certain feature.

Be sure to check out Michael’s post about the game, and visit the official website for it here!

Sample Question

Sample Code Snippet

Filed in: Adobe FlexFlex 4.5Flex 4.5/MobileFlex 4.6 Tags:

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Game of Flex平板客户端放出 | Flash开发者大会 | December 8, 2011
  1. Gareth Arch says:

Cool! Do you have an Amazon app store account as well? I’d like to be able to download it from there for my Kindle (rather than side loading it)…hmmm, just went to the Android Market and was informed it’s incompatible with my Samsung Galaxy. Is that right?

2. Gareth Arch says:

Ahh, just for tablets…I’m a little slow today :)

• swathi says:

Even I would like the tour de mobile flex and game of flexto be available on amazon app store. Please let us know if it is possible.

Swathi

3. Danny says:

Hello.
    I read you blog for last year I guess.
    I want to try, waiting for Playbook version.
    Thanks:)

4. oliver merx says:

nice game:-) unfortunately the stagewebview is not able to load pdf on android in your example?! I have built a workaround that should display local pdf and webbased pdf in stageview too. But it works only on pc not on the mobile device. Any hint what the reason for this could be?

• oliver merx says:

hmmm … now I am confused: browsing local pdf works on my ipad but not on my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 (android 3.2). Are there any manifest-Settings I have to change on Android?!

Beside that:
      the browser will hide the left view in the portrait modus. So splitviewnavigator combined with stagewebview only makes sense in landscape modus and switched of autoorientation.

5. Pierre Chaillet says:

Very glad of 4.6 on Mac OS X Lion: I uninstall 4.5.1, reboot and install 4.6. Error, I was asked to run AdobeSupportAdvisor, then AdobeCreativeSuiteCleanerTool (I dare to install and pay for Adobe Photoshop Element 10)… So now, I cannot install 4.6 and I cannot install 4.5 either… May be I have to buy another machine of format my hard disk… I know Holly is not the culprit, but think of this before upgrading… Back to my old Sony Vaio Z.

6. GadgetWom says:

nice game & nice info guys

7. Yordan says:

Pfff … it is so frustuating …

there is so new things related to building things with Flex for tablets, while Adobe is not goin to build more Flash players for mobiles, which including tablets. isnt it ?

damn Adobe.

8. Raffi says:

Hi Holly, I just installed 4.6, and while compiling a 4.5 mobile project, the following function is throwing
    1023: Incompatible override.

override mx_internal function getImageClass(dpi:Number, aspectRatio:String):Class
    if (dpi == DPIClassification.DPI_160)
    return SplashImage160;
    bla bla…
    return null;

9. Ricardo says:

Great!!!!

10. Arul says:

Wow , I’ve just imported the .fpx file into my Flash Builder trial and compiled it ….

It works superb… Amazing Learning resource . Thank you :)

11. Mano says:

I’m a student and beginner on Flex 4.5. Need answer soon its urgent. What is the minimum version for BB to use flex? Will Blackberry OS 4.6 support Flex Application?

Thank you in Advance.

• Hi Mano, You can use Flex 4.6 (or 4.5) to build apps for the BlackBerry Playbook. BlackBerry recently updated the OS to use Flash Player 11.1 and AIR 3.1 in BlackBerry PlayBook OS v1.0.8.4985. Is this what you’re asking? Thanks! Holly

12. Sven says:

have the same Problem with updating to 4.6 i got:
    1023: Incompatible override.

i follow: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/mobile-skinning-part2.html#articlecontentAdobe_numberedheader_5 for the MultiDPISplashScreen

Any workaround?

• mehboob says:

The signature for getImageClass has changed.

Use it like this:

mx_internal override function getImageClass(aspectRatio:String, dpi:Number, resolution:Number):Class

13. mike says:

Nice work for sure!

Pity the callout / stageview bug is still there. Check out the URL page in portrait mode and then click the ‘questions’ callout.

The callout shows behind the stage view. Pity.

14. Nick says:

Having same issue. Not sure whats going on. Let me know if you come up with a solution. I will do the same.

Nick

15. Sven says:

Hi, found a solution for the 1023 error overriding the mx_internal: Use this SplashScreen class: http://opensource.adobe.com/svn/opensource/flex/sdk/trunk/frameworks/projects/mobilecomponents/src/spark/preloaders/SplashScreen.as

nice x-mas

Sven

16. XKGmedia says:

Hi Holly

Great stuff.
    I was able to compile and install on tablets (iPad, Xoom, Playbook) but
    the “Display HTML pages” (webview) is always on top when i pop the menu on Portrait mode. Is there a quick solution for this?

Happy New Year
    Rom

17. Kaleel says:

Hi ,

i am new to Flex 4.6, i am trying to display HTML text , please advice how to display

i Tried StyleableTextField(ti1.textDisplay).htmlText = “TextInput bold italic.”;

Main Thread (Suspended: TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert spark.components.supportClasses::StyleableStageText@88aac29 to spark.components.supportClasses.StyleableTextField.)
    views::DetailsView/initView
    views::DetailsView/___DetailsView_View1_creationComplete
    flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction [no source]
    flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent [no source]
    mx.core::UIComponent/dispatchEvent
    mx.core::UIComponent/set initialized
    mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation
    mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiationCallback

Please advice

18. tony says:

Why I’m create apk from example code sometime save disappear. But I’m load from market is not found that bug.
    I’m use galaxy tab10.1

19. Mihai says:

hey, i have this problem. I cannot deploy my app on an iPhone 4s. I tried on an iPad, iPad 2, new iPad and iPhone 4, works like a charm, but i cannot get it installed on the 4s. Do you know anything about this?